Arts in the Family: A Family of Artists Just Trying to Make a Living in the Wilds of Texas

pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

More Cathedral Art






This is the third of the five paintings for the San Fernando Cathedral Alex Rubio and I painted back in 1989. This one is a portrait of Juan Diego with the image of the Virgen de Guadalupe on his tilma. It appears to be almost completed with only the roses that he carries in his tilma that need painting.






Above is the completed painting. I liked the way the light seemed to be coming form the roses to illuminate his face. I painted Juan Diego's portrait but Alex did paint the Virgen's face and everything else on this painting. He wanted to give it a try on that one. You can see the edge of the next painting to the left already begun. It was like a production line.


A close up of Juan Diego's portrait. I don't think I've mentioned that the medium we used was acrylic interior (semi-gloss, I think) housepaint for all the paintings though I can't remember the brand name. It might have been Coronado since we often used that on the murals we painted for the Community Cultural Arts Organization where Alex and I were employed at the time.

Here's a good closeup of one of the hands with a polaroid of myself wearing some muslin fabric like a tilma to get the folds right. I don't recall Vincent being around for this one. A ten year old can only be around so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...